5 Easy Ways to Change Windows 7 Password
For computer and its data security, you need to not only create a strong password that is easy-to-remember yet difficult-to-guess, but also change the password on a regular basis. In this article, it's going to talk about a few simple ways to change Windows 7 password. You'll also learn how to change your Windows 7 password when you are locked out of computer.
Method 1. Take Control Panel in Use
This is the most commonly-known method to change Windows 7 password. Log into the user account in Windows 7 that you want to change password of and then do as follows:
- Step 1: Open the User Account window by going to Start –> Control Panel –> Family Safety and User Accounts –> User Accounts.
- Step 2: Click on "change your password" link. On the coming window, enter your current password, type a new password, and then type it again to confirm the new password.
- Step 3: Click the "Change password" button to finish your operation.
Method 2. Use Ctrl +Alt+Del
This is the easiest way to change password on Windows 7 in my opinion.
- Step 1: Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Change a password.
- Step 2: Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then press ENTER.
Method 3. Use "lusrmgr.msc"
If you forgot password on Windows 7, you can also type "lusrmgr.msc" to get back or reset the password instantly.
- Step 1: Log into computer as administrator, open Local Users and Groups by clicking the Start button, typing lusrmgr.msc into the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.
- Step 2: Double-click Local Users and Groups, and then click Users to display all the user accounts on the computer
- Step 3: Right-click the account that you need to reset the password for, and then click Set Password to change your password.
Method 4. Use "Control userpasswords2"
Of course, it is easy to use "Control userpasswords2" to change or reset the password on Windows 7 or other Windows OS.
- Step 1: Press Windows +R to bring up the Run box, and then type "control userpasswords2" in the run box and press Enter.
Note: You can also type "netplwiz" in the start search box instead.
- Step 2: When the classic user accounts management window appears, select any user and select reset password
Method 5. Use Command Prompt
- Step 1: Open Command Prompt as administrator. To do this, Click "Start" button, type "cmd" in the search box, hold down the Shift key and right-click cmd command. And choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Step 2: Use the following commands to change the password:
net user username password
Now, you can replace username with the original username and password with the new password you want to assign to that user.
How to change Windows 7 password when locked out of computer?
If you happen to forgot Windows 7 password and are locked out of computer, changing the password is a must if you want to access your computer data without loss. The best way to do this job is to use a previously created password reset disk through the Windows 7 built-in feature.
But without a password reset disk? Don't worry! All you need is to create a bootable password reset disk with Windows Password Unlocker - a professional and effective tool to change the forgotten windows 7 password to blank or a new one. This method is easy, quick and safe to use for everyone, even newbie. 100% security and 100% password reset rate guaranteed.
One more tip: Don't know how to create a password reset disk through Windows built-in features? Learn How to Create a Windows 7 Password Reset Disk for Free?
Get it Now